Bake One For the Gipper This Passover

I wanted to try at least one new recipe for Passover this year, and while browsing epicurious.com, I came across this interesting little number: Orange Flourless Chocolate Cake for the Reagan Family. The recipe comes from the memoir of former White House Pastry Chef Roland Mesnier, and for some reason I kind of got a kick from thinking that I could make a cake once enjoyed by the Reagans. I am not exactly a huge Ronald Reagan fan, but I did develop a bit of a soft spot for the Gipper after visiting the Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley a few years ago. The man wrote the most amazing love letters to his wife, a number of which are on display at the Library. I couldn't help but be moved by his incredibly charming and unrestrained expressions of adoration for Nancy.

Anyway, back to the cake. It's a snap to put together. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler, mix in sugar and orange zest, add eggs and egg yolks, and stir in sifted cocoa powder. I made a batch and a half and baked it in a 9-inch by 13-inch rectangular pan (which has exactly 1.5 times the volume of the 10-inch round pan specified in the recipe, so no adjustment in baking time was required). The cake was ready in 35 minutes and had a nice firm crust on top.

I was pleasantly surprised by the way this cake turned out. It was very moist, had a nice light texture, and the orange flavor was terrific. This cake is completely passable for Passover, or any other occasion.

To round out the Passover baked goods selection, I also made a Chocolate-Almond Soufflé Torte, which I like to serve cold. It's one of my favorite creamy delicious treats any time of year!

Recipes:Previous Posts:

Comments