Finally Turning the Page: Chocolate Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake

For years I have been making the recipe for Chocolate Banana Bread from Chocolatier Magazine's May 2002 issue. When I made the banana bread earlier this week, I couldn't help noticing that I've never tried the recipe on the very next page of the magazine -- Chocolate Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake. I decided it was finally time to give the recipe a shot.

The cake itself isn't all that unusual -- just your basic sour cream coffee cake. However, there is a layer of filling in the middle consisting of brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and chocolate, and a topping made with the filling ingredients plus cake flour, cocoa powder, and butter.

This cake rose slightly above the top of my 2-inch high springform pan, and I was relieved that it didn't actually overflow. The finished cake was pretty ugly; the topping looked like a muddy mess and I sprinkled the slices with powdered sugar before serving to try to make it a bit more attractive. I thought the flavor of the cake itself was fine; the filling and topping were mildly interesting, but didn't make much of an impression. But the main problem with the cake was its texture, which was not tender at all. It had the slightly rubbery texture of a supermarket coffee cake. At least I know I haven't been missing very much all of these years!

Recipe: Chocolate Swirl Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Chocolatier Magazine, May 2002.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the look of that crumb! AND SWIRL! It's like hidden treasure.

Thanks for sharing!
Unknown said…
Hi -- I love your blog and thank you for sharing! Question: how do you keep all your favorite recipes organized? It sounds like you have a lot of books but I would love to hear how you keep track of magazine/newspaper recipes. Thanks again and keep the postings coming!
Andrea -- unfortunately, I have several huge piles of hundreds of printed out recipes that are really not organized very well! I have yet to find an efficient way to organize things, but the one thing I do is maintain a baking journal of everything I make and how it turned out. I also maintain an index so that I can easily go back to look up something from the past... I've been keeping a baking journal since 2002 and I am now on my third bound volume!
Unknown said…
Bound volumes, how fantastic! Thanks for the tip.
Louise said…
Hi. I've been reading your blog for several weeks since I came across it while looking at Grapefruit Cake. I seem to bake a lot like you do. I'm a retired database geek, but I still love paper and print out a lot of recipes for future use. I have heavy duty office style accordion folders. One has recipes I've made, the other is stuff I want to make. Each section of the folder is grouped such as beef, cakes, chicken, cookies, ... pasta, pork, potatoes, etc. I also write on the paper such as Excellent, NG. I have another rating called GTW (Goodness to Work) which just gets an up or down arrow, if it's appropriate. I keep bad recipes and label them too, as otherwise I'll come across them again in a couple of years and since it looked good the first time, it may look good again. I don't want to make that mistake. I have an index book too to help me find things I've made and liked in my 500 plus cookbooks. The system works pretty good for me.

Thanks for sharing your cooking.