What to Do With Your Leftover Halloween Candy: Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies

Tom and I did a pretty good job of estimating how much Halloween candy we needed to buy, and we had just a couple of handfuls left at the end of the night. I did notice, however, that there was a surprisingly high percentage of Rolos among the leftovers. I think that the particularly dense and compact nature of these little rolls of caramel-filled chocolate candies caused them all to sink to the bottom of the candy bowl. This instantly gave me the idea of making Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies, a recipe from the 1990 Pillsbury Bakeoff that I discovered many years ago in a booklet of Pillsbury recipes that I purchased on impulse at the checkout stand at the grocery store.

These cookies are a really clever idea. You make a chocolate dough and wrap it around a Rolo so that each finished cookie has a chewy caramel center. The Rolos melt and flatten out during baking so that they are virtually invisible except for a little bump in the center of each cookie. It makes for a nice surprise!

I don't think the chocolate dough itself is all that interesting, but I do love these cookies for the caramel-y sweet surprise in the middle. We also had a few boxes of Milk Duds left over, and I tried making a few cookies with Milk Duds instead of Rolos and thought these also turned out well. I made a mental note that it might be interesting to substitute Milk Duds for chocolate chips in some other cookie or brownie recipes. Mmmmmm, caramel!

Recipe: Caramel-Filled Chocolate Cookies by Jean Olson, from the 1990 Pillsbury Bakeoff.

Comments