Fruit Fest, Phase V: Breakfast Time

Today I did some early morning baking, and accordingly, breakfast was on the menu. I tried the recipe for "Sweet Blueberry Breakfast Biscuits" from Lisa Yockelson's Baking By Flavor.

It's an interesting recipe, which yielded a cross between a scone and a muffin. The dough is made like a scone batter, mixing together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, sugar), cutting in cold butter, and then adding eggs, cream, vanilla, and blueberries. The recipe even instructs you to pat the dough into disks and cut it into triangles -- just like scone batter -- before sprinkling them with a mixture of sugar and nutmeg and putting them in the oven.

I made a double batch and shaped the first batch into triangles. I didn't like the way these looked at all, because the biscuits did not keep their shape very well and they looked sloppy. For the second batch, I used a #12 ice cream scoop and I dropped round biscuits onto the baking pan. I thought that these looked a little better.

I was pretty dissatisfied with the final flavor and texture, though. I thought the texture most resembled a muffin. I was hoping for something either crumbly (like a scone) or flaky (like a biscuit), but these were neither. Also, the flavor was a little strange, with the nutmeg being the most dominant component. Not a fan. I'll take a Clementine scone over this biscuit, anytime.

Recipe: "Sweet Blueberry Breakfast Biscuits," from Baking By Flavor by Lisa Yockelson.

Comments