Just Like (Marcel's) Mom Used to Make: Mrs. D's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Earlier this week I decided to take a another look at Death By Chocolate Cookies, a cookbook by Marcel Desaulniers that I haven't used in quite a while. The reason I rarely use this cookbook is that I've had pretty disappointing results from several of the recipes, and I haven't found anything in there that I liked enough to make more than once. That said, it's a lot of fun to flip through the book, because it's filled with large gorgeous photographs.

I decided to try "Mrs. D's Chocolate Chip Cookies," which Desaulniers claims is his favorite recipe in the book. "Mrs. D" is his mother, and Desaulniers teethed on this cookie as a toddler and enjoyed it in care packages sent to him and his Marine buddies in Vietnam. The recipe is fairly straightforward, except that it includes a couple of tablespoons of dark rum.

This cookie is baked at a relatively low temperature for a fairly long time. The recipe presents the options of baking them at 300 degrees from 28-30 minutes for a crisp cookie, or at 325 degrees for 20 minutes for a soft cookie. I tried the latter. The end result was a completely unremarkable chocolate chip cookie with a slightly dry texture. Nothing special to look at here. I'm going to put this cookbook back on the shelf where I can forget about it again for a while!

Recipe: "Mrs. D's Chocolate Chip Cookies" from Death By Chocolate Cookies by Marcel Desaulniers.

Comments