Fruit Fest, Phase IV: Blueberry Pound Cake

Marching on with the Fruit Fest, I tried a recipe for Fresh Blueberry Pound Cake from Greg Patent's Baking in America. The ingredient list is straightforward: cake flour, salt, mace (I didn't have any and so I used nutmeg), blueberries, butter, vanilla, sugar, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice. Patent describes the cake as "very pretty," "tender, buttery and dense," and says that the blueberries "gleam like amethysts" when you cut into the cake.

The finished cake was in fact very pretty. It had a nice golden brown crust and an extremely fine crumb. However, I thought that the cake was a bit dry, and it not have the strong buttery flavor that I like in a pound cake. I'm happy to move on to some other fruit recipes.

Recipe: "Fresh Blueberry Pound Cake" from Baking in America: Traditional and Contemporary Favorites from the Past 200 Years, by Greg Patent.

Comments