Fruit Fest, Phase II: Ice Cream

To continue using up my enormous stash of blueberries, I knew I wanted to make some ice cream. I decided to try a recipe that caught my eye from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours. Greenspan calls her Blueberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream "the summeriest of summertime ice creams." The recipe is easy. You cook blueberries, sugar, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice together until they come to a boil, run the mixture through a blender, add heavy cream and sour cream, chill the mixture, and freeze it in an ice cream maker.

The resulting ice cream has a distinctive tang from the sour cream (it has as much sour cream as heavy cream) and the flavor has an uncanny resemblance to blueberry cheesecake. While I was a big fan of the flavor, I was not so happy with the texture, which was not very creamy. It was pretty difficult to get a couple of good-looking scoops for the picture above. But the ice cream certainly does showcase the blueberry, and the color is just gorgeous. I think it will be a nice accompaniment to the blueberry baked goods I will be cranking out in the near future.

Recipe: "Blueberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream" from Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan.

Comments