Snickerdoodle Dandy

Alice Medrich's Cookies and Brownies is the only cookbook I own that I've literally worn out from use. This tiny volume (I have the original hardcover edition, now out of print) only has about 50 recipes, but it contains quite a few that I go back to again and again. My heavy use of this cookbook resulted in so many pages coming loose from the binding that I actually had to buy a second copy (I wish I'd had the foresight to buy a bunch, because copies of the first edition are now quite valuable).

One of my standards from the book is the recipe for snickerdoodles. Medrich compares the taste of these cookies to "delicate, crunchy rounds of cinnamon-topped French toast."

The snickerdoodle has a rich butter cookie base (butter, sugar, flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, eggs) that is refrigerated before forming the dough into balls and rolling them in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. I have found through experience that most people prefer this cookie soft, not crunchy. To get a little softer texture, I bake the cookies at 375 degrees instead of the 400 degrees specified in the recipe. The finished cookie bakes up thin, but remains soft inside -- buttery, sweet, and deliciously fragrant and flecked with cinnamon. It's a simple cookie that never fails to please.

Recipe: "Snicker Doodles" from Cookies and Brownies from Alice Medrich.

Comments