The Problem With the Girl Scouts

Believe it or not, I don't actually eat baked goods all that often. When I bake something I will usually have a taste, but I view that as a quality control requirement. I do have a sweet tooth, but I try to exercise self control and not indulge in sweets too frequently.

Girl Scout cookie season is a trying time for me. I stopped buying Girl Scout cookies a few years ago because I cannot resist those thin mints once I have them in my possession. An open box is an empty box. (And am I such a bad person for harboring a fantasy of inventing a cookie even better than the thin mint so that I can put the Girl Scouts cookie-selling operation out of business and quit my day job?) But my office is a dumping ground of Girl Scout cookies, where my generous co-workers who overbuy to support the Girl Scouts leave out open boxes on a daily basis. It's really horrible.

To counter this daily temptation, I decided yesterday to bake a batch of chocolate chip biscotti that I could stash at my office to nosh on whenever the Girl Scout cookie urge hits. The recipe is from Alice Medrich's cookbook Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts and contains no butter. While the recipe does contain eggs and (obviously) chocolate chips, the biscotti are low-fat and yet deliver the very satisfying flavor of a chocolate chip cookie, with a wonderful crunch.

Take that, Girl Scouts!

Recipe: "Chocolate Chip Biscotti" from Alice Medrich's Chocolate and the Art of Low-Fat Desserts.

Previous Post: "Hey, Boo Boo! What's In the Pic-a-Nic Basket?," June 26, 2008.

Comments

Barb said…
You think you are tempted... I've got a girl scout in the house and cases of cookies waiting to be sold ~ lord give me strength