Love Is In The Air (At Least For Brunch)

Over the weekend Tom and I attended a brunch held in honor of a friend who recently got married. I told the brunch hostesses that I would be happy to bring some baked goods, and since they already had dessert covered (cupcakes and a sheet cake), I agreed to bring scones and a coffee cake (what can I say, I have a pretty limited breakfast baked goods repertoire).

Not much new to look at here... The scones were the recipe I normally use from Clementine, and the coffee cake was my favorite recipe from the Land O' Lakes booklet I picked up at the grocery store checkout stand a decade ago (it's a very moist and bright white cake with milk and cream cheese in the batter, with a topping of butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon). I made the coffee cake with fresh blueberries, and I planned to make strawberry scones. However, Trader Joe's appears to have stopped carrying dried strawberries, so I used a bag of dried mixed berries (cherries, blueberries, strawberries) for the scones instead.

Tom spotted a child at the brunch eating the crumble topping off of a piece of coffee cake. I wonder if he's the same person who licked the chocolate frosting from the top of a cupcake and left the stump on the serving tray?

Congratulations Karen and Alberto!

Recipes:
  • Clementine Strawberry Scones, Los Angeles Times, April 27, 2005.
  • "Kathryn's Blueberry Coffee Cake," Land O Lakes Recipe Collection: 75th Anniversary All-Time Favorites (1996).

Previous Posts:

Comments