Gingerbread, Revisited

Last night I gave the King Arthur Flour Guaranteed gingerbread recipe another try. This time I chopped the crystallized ginger very fine and baked the gingerbread longer, until a toothpick inserted in the center came out clean (38 minutes). The results were a marked improvement over Sunday. The smaller pieces of ginger gave a very strong, but not overpowering, spicy flavor. Even though I baked the bread longer (last time I took it out after only 30 minutes), it was still moist.

The middle still sank a little, but it was more like a mild divot this time instead of a huge crater. And the inner portion was completely cooked and edible. Still not ideal, but perfectly passable. A cross section:

I'm just gratified that I got the recipe to turn out... Phew!

Recipe: Gingerbread from King Arthur Flour.
Previous Post: "Gingerbread, Guaranteed?," October 26, 2008.

Comments