First Taste: Ray's Hell Burger

I have been hearing the buzz about Ray's Hell Burger (1713 Wilson Boulevard, Arlington) since it opened on July 1. I couldn't wait to give it a try since I am a huge fan of Ray's the Steaks (which is also owned by proprietor Michael Landrum and located a few doors down -- I haven't yet had a chance to try the other restaurant in the Landrum empire, Ray's the Classics in Silver Spring). Apparently the legal name of the restaurant is Ray's Butcher Burger, but you would never know. The name doesn't appear anywhere, not even on the front of the restaurant. But the secret is definitely out, because there was quite a crowd when we stopped by on Saturday afternoon. Be prepared to spend some time standing in line, stalking out a table (some of which are high tables where you have to stand), and waiting for your food.

Ray's Hell Burger has a gloriously simple menu (click to enlarge below). All they serve is 10 oz. burgers. No chicken breast, no turkey burger, no veggie burger. The beef is the same beef they serve at the other Ray's restaurants, aged in-house, hand trimmed, and ground fresh several times daily. They offer Route 11 chips but not fries. An extensive menu of burger toppings is available, many of which are free (e.g., sauteed mushrooms, grilled peppers, grilled onions, tomatoes, pickles), and others which are available a la carte for a variety of prices (e.g., bacon or guacamole for $1.50, american, swiss, cheddar or pepper jack cheese for $1, taleggio cheese for $3, epoisse cheese for $5). Drinks are Old Dominion rootbeer on tap (available by the glass, mug, or mini-pitcher), Boylan's, Cheerwine, and other offbeat sodas. Hell Burger also offers Moorenko ice cream and root beer floats. A burger starts at the amazing price of only $6.95.

Our group of four ordered the B.I.G. Poppa, the New Jack, a burger with guacamole, and a bacon cheeseburger. Despite the advice on the menu to order the burgers with a warm red center, we all ordered ours medium. If there is one criticism I have of Ray's the Steaks, it's that when you order your steak medium rare, the "warm red center" is completely raw, and from my point of view, inedible (and I am generally happy with a steak done medium rare at any other restaurant). I always employ a single level of meat doneness inflation at Ray's the Steaks, and so I thought doing the same at Hell Burger would make sense.

I was a big fan of my B.I.G. Poppa, which came au poivre (seared with a black peppercorn crust), and with mushrooms, onions, and lots of bleu cheese. Even done medium, it was juicy and flavorful. The au poivre crust was delicious, and the bleu cheese gave me the sensation that I was eating a black and blue New York strip steak at Ray's the Steaks (except for only $7.95!).


Tom loved his New Jack, which was blackened with cajun spices, and served with pepper jack cheese, jalapenos, sauteed peppers, and garlic. Tom says that next time he will order his burger with a warm red center as recommended.


My cousin and her friend were also very pleased with their burgers, although there were complaints about soggy buns (and Tom specifically noted that the buns we had yesterday at The Burger Joint in Bethesda were significantly better). At least during the summer, the burgers are all served with a free side of corn on the cob (particularly tender and delicious) and a slice of watermelon. I wonder what (if any) the sides will be for the fall and winter. I do have to say that all of us left the restaurant immensely satisfied. Certainly, I don't know of a place where you can get a better burger for the money. I plan on going back again and again and again!

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Certainly, I don't know of a place where you can get a better burger for the money. I plan on going back again and again and again!" - What about the burgers at my place? They cost less (free). Are you saying they don't measure up? Give me another chance.