A Cookie for Grown-Ups

Last night I noticed that I had a few extra bags of dried sour cherries on hand and I decided to look for a new dried cherry recipe. After browsing for a bit on epicurious.com, I decided to give Cherry Double-Chocolate Cookies a try. (I subscribe to both Gourmet and Bon Appetit, but I still use epicurious.com pretty extensively -- as you might have noticed -- precisely because it's so much easier to browse online and find recipes in situations just like this.)

When I made the batter, it was very soft and sticky. Even though the recipe instructed me to flatten the cookies slightly before baking, I was concerned the cookies were going to spread too much, so I chilled the dough for about an hour and didn't flatten the cookies before I put them in the oven. They spread nicely anyway. I used a #24 scoop and got precisely two dozen 3.5-inch cookies from each batch.


I was very intrigued by the finished cookie. The texture stayed surprisingly soft. If I had to describe the flavor in one word, it would be "dark," or maybe "grown-up." I used Hershey's Special Dark bars instead of milk chocolate (I really dislike milk chocolate in general). The deep flavor of the chocolate batter and chunks, the chewy tartness of the cherries, and the warm toastiness of the pecans made for a very astringent and slightly startling taste. The cookie was a sophisticated and unusual treat.

Comments