Checking Out Momofuku's New Digs

I just got back from a two day business trip to New York City. I was fortunate to have lots of free time to wander around the city, although given that it was about 98 degrees the entire time, pounding the pavement was a particularly exhausting experience. But I definitely wanted to stop by Momofuku Noodle Bar, which is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. I haven't been since last October, and in the meantime, they have moved to a much larger location (171 1st Ave, between 10th and 11th Streets). The old place only had something like 30 seats and it was always a challenge to get a spot at the bar. But oh, was the wait worth it... their ramen is sooooo yummy. Mmmmmm, fatty pork.... The menu changes frequently, but here's what was being offered on June 9 (click to enlarge):


My friend and I split an order of pork buns (which are always on the menu), and I had the standard Momofuku Ramen. My friend ordered a special that our waiter mentioned that wasn't on the menu: a dish of nori noodles with peekytoe crab and sugar snap peas.


My friend and I were sitting at the bar in front of the kitchen and we noticed one of the cooks hand rolling and cutting fresh pasta that was red. When we couldn't figure out what it was from the menu, we asked someone who worked there. He said it was a dish they're developing that isn't on the menu--smoked chili pasta (the chilis are smoked on the premises) with peas, pork, shrimp, and a fried baby kale garnish. It was quite lovely when it was served... this picture was taken after the guy who ordered it had already taken a few bites.

It was ordered by the guy sitting next to us, who gave my friend a taste--she said it wasn't spicy. One of the other fun features about the new noodle bar location is that they offer soft serve ice cream... My cracker jack cone was a perfect way to finish off my meal!



Comments

Tyler Hewitt said…
I commented on this post, but somehow it ended up under your ;More Butter Please' post. Oh well!
Anonymous said…
Wish I had been able to go to Momofuku with you!