A Salty-Sweet-Creamy Treat

So now that I've finally finished blogging about one holiday party, it's time to move onto the next one... This afternoon we had our office holiday party. I decided to make another red velvet cake, and it looked just like the one I made last week, so I won't bother talking about it any further.

I also decided to try making some Fleur De Sel Caramels. I have made other types of caramels in the past, but I've never tried this recipe before. It includes only 6 ingredients (cream, butter, fleur de sel, sugar, corn syrup, and water) and is pretty straightforward to make. I cut the pan of cooled caramels into 1-inch squares.

The final texture was somewhat soft; I had to be careful not to bend the caramels out of shape when I was wrapping them. Because they were slightly sticky, I wrapped each caramel in square of parchment, and then in a small square of colored foil (I buy the pre-cut foil from Sur La Table; it comes in a rainbow of shades and is very reasonably priced at $2.95 for a pack of 125 squares).

The caramels were very smooth and creamy, and fairly light in texture. They had a pronounced salt flavor, which was delicious (I did use twice as much fleur de sel as the recipe called for after reading some of the recipe reviews on epicurious). Tom suggests that if I make them again, I should try and see if I can get the caramel to set a little firmer. I think I'm up to the challenge!

Recipe: Fleur De Sel Caramels from epicurious.com.

Comments

cluckyducky said…
Gorgeous! How did you cut them so precisely? I made caramels once and they looked decidedly rustic...
Being the type A person I am, I used a ruler! But if you read about my following attempt at caramel-making (I will get around to posting it soon!), you will see that I can't always get them to come out so precise!