Time to Celebrate!: Fudgy Chocolate Cake with Fluffy Chocolate Frosting

After more than a month of not being able to use my oven, the repair technician called me out of the blue one Saturday morning to tell me he had finally received the replacement part we had been waiting for. And he could be at my house in half an hour! After he completed the repair, I was practically dancing with happiness in the kitchen and wanted to bake something right away. I reached for Yossy Arefi's book Snacking Cakes, which is full of easy recipes with short ingredient lists. I decided to try her "Fudgy Chocolate Cake with Fluffy Chocolate Frosting," which Arefi describes as "dense, fudgy and super chocolatey."
 
To make the cake, you whisk sugar and eggs until pale and foamy; add buttermilk, canola oil, melted butter, vanilla, and salt; mix in flour, baking powder, and baking soda; stir in hot coffee; and fold in chocolate chips. I doubled the recipe and poured the batter into a parchment-lined 9-inch by 13-inch pan to bake. The cake domed quite a bit in the oven and was significantly taller in the middle than it was around the edges. After it was completely cooled, I frosted the cake with an American buttercream made from softened butter, Dutch cocoa, powdered sugar, vanilla, salt, and milk. I was in a festive mood, so I added some sprinkles on top.
This cake was in fact quite fudgy, with a deep cocoa flavor. I don't know why there was a thin layer of particularly dense cake at the bottom -- I was not pleased to see it, but it didn't seem to have any negative impact on the flavor. The frosting was rich and chocolatey, but I ended up with different thicknesses of frosting in different parts of the cake, given the underlying height differences in the cake itself. 

The cake was certainly very tasty, although I personally prefer a more tender, delicate chocolate cake texture. But every bite of this cake was absolutely glorious, as I celebrated being able to use my oven again!
 
Recipe: "Fudgy Chocolate Cake with Fluffy Chocolate Frosting" from Snacking Cakes by Yossy Arefi.

Comments

Sally said…
I loved this cake! I was pleasantly surprised by how fantastic it was. I was wary of cocoa in the frosting so made the chocolate frosting from Deb Perelman's SKED, which I love.

Congrats on the oven! A month is a LONG time.
I'm glad you liked it -- this cake certainly does give you a great result for very little effort. And I am SO RELIEVED to have my oven working again!!
Cookie Madness said…
I keep seeing this book in the library. Guess I'll have to check it out.