Better Than the Girl Scouts: Chunky Oatmeal Peanut Butter Sandwiches

I stopped buying Girl Scout cookies years ago. Not because I don't like them. In fact, it's quite the opposite -- I like them too much. An open box of Thin Mints is an empty box. Thin Mints are my favorite, but I also love Do-Si-Dos. Which is why I decided to try Abigail Dodge's recipe for "Chunky Oatmeal Peanut Butter Sandwiches," her homage to the Do-Si-Do.

It's an easy recipe. To make the cookie dough, you mix creamy peanut butter with softened butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar; add an egg and vanilla; and incorporate chopped salted peanuts, baking soda, salt, and old-fashioned oats that have been coarsely ground in a food processor. You can use the dough immediately. I used a #60 scoop to portion out the dough and I got 47 cookies from a batch. The baked cookies were quite pretty. They were nicely round and had lovely cracked tops. And their small size was adorable. After the cookies were cool, I sandwiched them around a filling made from creamy peanut butter, powdered sugar, and butter. I had a lot of filling, so each sandwich ended up with a thick layer of it. I might have ended up with so much filling because my cookie yield was lower than specified. I only got two dozen sandwiches from a batch of dough but the recipe says it should yield 34.
These sandwiches were amazing. The cookies themselves were fragrant, hearty, and full of peanut flavor and crunchy peanut bits. They were also nice and chewy, which was a change from peanut butter sandwich cookies I've made in the past, where the cookies were crisp and dry. Dodge mentions that if you want crispier cookies, you can bake them a minute or two longer -- which would give you something more closely resembling an actual Do-Si-Do. But this cookie is really delicious on all on its own. Sandwiched with the creamy filling, it's over the top.

If there is was one downside to the generous amount of filling, it's that it was soft and it squished out of the sandwich after biting into it. But this cookie is totally worth the mess and extra napkins. My tasters raved about these cookies. And I liked them so much that I made them twice in one week. I think they're better than the Girl Scout version.

Recipe: "Chunky Oatmeal Peanut Butter Sandwiches" from The Everyday Baker by Abigail Dodge.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Louise said…
These definitely sound like something I need to bake. There are quite a few things in "The Everyday Baker" that I need to bake. We're coming into sour cherry season so cookies will have to wait their turn.