Ipso Fatto Instant Photos: McKenna's First Holy Communion

Recently our friends Jim and Colleen celebrated the First Holy Communion of their oldest daughter, McKenna. Where does the time go? It seems like not that long ago when I was baking cupcakes for McKenna's baptism. This time I made a half-sheet white cake with lemon mousseline, covered in fondant and decorated with a cross (I used a mold from First Impressions) and flowers.
For the flowers, I used cutters from FMM Sugarcraft for "The Easiest Rose Ever" and "The Easiest Carnation Ever." I still don't have the technique down quite yet, but I am getting better -- there was some improvement over the flowers I made for the birthday cake for my cousin's daughter last month. And while I don't think my "carnations" looked like actual carnations, I was pleased they are starting to look more realistic in general. My favorite was the flower below, which has edges highlighted with petal dust.
Rose Levy Beranbaum never lets me down. The lily-white cake had a dense but very fine crumb and was light and delicious. It was a lovely cake for a lovely girl on a very special day!

Recipes: "Base Formula for White Butter Cake," "Mousseline Buttercream (Fruit Mousseline Variation with Lemon Curd)," "Lemon Curd," "Base Formula for 1 Cup Syrup," and "Classic Rolled Fondant" from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum.

Previous Post: "McKenna's Baptism [Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Filling]," April 22, 2009.

Comments

Louise said…
That's a beautiful flower and a lovely cake.