Baker's Express Can Impress: Toasted Almond Cookies

When I needed some cookies in a hurry, I turned to the first recipe in the "Baker's Express" section of Abigail Dodge's The Weekend Baker: Toasted Almond Cookies. Dodge says that these cookies are a tribute to her brother Tim's favorite Good Humor ice cream bar, the Toasted Almond Bar.

Aside from the time needed to bring butter to room temperature, this recipe is really quick. You mix together butter, sugar, and salt; add an egg yolk, vanilla, and almond extract; and incorporate flour and toasted slivered almonds. You can bake the cookies immediately. I used a #30 scoop (about two tablespoons) to portion out the dough and I got 14 cookies, which I flattened out before baking.
These cookies don't look like much, but they are so delicious. They are buttery and crisp -- to me they are reminiscent of a Pepperidge Farm cookie or a Danish butter cookie from the blue tin. The crunch and flavor from the slivered almonds is lovely. It's also some sort of taste illusion, but I swear they taste as if they have been rolled in powdered sugar, like a Mexican wedding cookie. I love these cookies, and the fact that they are so easy and quick is a bonus.

When Tom and I made some last-minute plans to get together with family visiting from out of town, we decided to outsource dinner, but I still felt like I should bake something for dessert and I made these cookies a second time. I took out the butter to soften while we played some badminton in the backyard and then baked the cookies in the time it took for our sushi delivery to arrive. I didn't eat one, but everyone else enjoyed them and Tom told me that the second batch of cookies was even better than the first. These cookies are really lovely and the only thing I would change in the future is to multiply the recipe to get more cookies!

Recipe: "Toasted Almond Cookies" from The Weekend Baker by Abigail Dodge.

Comments

Sally said…
thanks to your rave review I ordered a copy of the book - it's out of print!
I hope you enjoy it, Sally! There was a paperback version released as well, but I bought a used copy of the original hardcover because I really don't like softcover cookbooks. I should mention that I have noticed one quirk in this cookbook, which is odd weight measurements for sugar. For some reason this book lists the weight of one cup of sugar as 226 grams, which isn't correct (and Dodge's Everyday Baker cookbook uses the correct weight of 198 grams per cup). While I bake by weight when weights are listed, for this cookbook I have been using the volume measurements for sugar only. Happy baking!
DB said…
Well the upside to a cookbook addiction is.. there's a good chance I have the book! As soon as I read this post I searched my bookshelves and found my copy of Weekend Baker and baked a batch of these cookies. DELICIOUS! Love this cookie, you're right it doesn't make enough. Thanks for helping me "discover" books I already own!
That's awesome, DB, I'm so glad you liked the cookies!
DB said…
For the umpteenth time I have followed suit and also posted these cookies on my blog...once again you are in my blog post! http://3jamigos.com/2017/05/04/weekend-warrior-weekend-baker/.
I posted B Pastisserie's (San Francisco) almond cookie recipe awhile back, really yummy. Since you like almonds too I thought I would pass it along! http://3jamigos.com/2015/12/20/almond-cookies-homage-to-mrs-f/
Sally said…
thanks! That is SUPER helpful. I'm browsing through the book and love it. I may make the 3-bite whoopie pies for our school's bake sale...
Oh, I love those Asian bakery almond cookies! Gotta add these to the to-bake list - thanks!
Louise said…
My copy of "The Weekend Baker" arrived today. You're personally responsible for making me track down a copy. I'm looking forward to reading the book and adding to my "to bake" list. : )
I hope you enjoy it -- I've got a really good feeling about the book so far. I just started baking from "The Everyday Baker" and I have high hopes for that cookbook too!