Baked Sunday Mornings: Mini Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes

The recipe on this week's Baked Sunday Mornings schedule is the Strawberry Supreme Cake, three layers of strawberry cake filled with strawberry jam and fresh strawberry whipped cream, covered in vanilla buttercream. I've baked this cake already -- twice, as a matter of fact. The first time I made the recipe exactly as written, and the second time I swapped out freeze-dried strawberries for the fresh fruit and eliminated the whipped cream filling so that the cake wouldn't require refrigeration. Both versions were delightful. But instead of making the strawberry cake a third time this week, I decided to make another recipe from Baked Occasions, the Mini Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes.

The recipe head note describes these cupcakes as "a scrumptious commingling of walnuts and chocolate that manage to flawlessly walk the line between rich, fudgy brownie and adorable cupcake." To make the cupcake batter you beat sugar, dark brown sugar, canola oil, and vanilla; add an egg and egg yolks; alternately add the dry ingredients (flour and salt) and a mixture of cocoa powder and instant espresso powder that have been dissolved in hot water; and mix in baking soda that has been dissolved in hot water. My batter was very thin and I used a #50 scoop to fill mini-cupcake molds with paper liners. The recipe says that you should get 48 mini cupcakes, but I got 66. You top each cupcake with a mixture of miniature chocolate chips and chopped toasted walnuts that have been coated in butter while warm. Because I had so many cupcakes, I ran out out of the chocolate chip-walnut mixture and used straight chocolate chips for the last few.
I was expecting that the topping of chocolate chips and nuts would remain a distinct layer on top of the batter because the recipe notes that when you test the cupcakes for doneness with a toothpick, you should make sure that you're not just testing "the melty chocolate topping part." But when I took my cupcakes out of the oven, there was no melty chocolate topping. The nuts did remain mostly on top, but it turns out that the chocolate chips sank throughout the batter, including some that ended up on the very bottom of each cupcake.

These little cupcakes were delicious. They definitely deliver classic brownie flavor, especially with the walnuts. The texture was more cakey than fudgy, but thoroughly satisfying all the same. And I do love the bite-size portions, although of course it's difficult to eat just one!

Recipe: "Mini Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes" from Baked Occasions by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Robyn said…
These look amazing! Can't wait to make them!
Anonymous said…
Ditto, Robyn! :-D
Anonymous said…
I, too, was missing the "brownie" texture, but they were yummy all the same! I chopped the walnuts very finely and chopped down chocolate chunks, all of which stayed on top pretty well.