Black and Whites Without the Black and White: Soft Sugar Cookies

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted! I hope to catch up on some long overdue posts in the next few days! So back to where I left off...

After I made red velvet cupcakes a few weeks ago, I was looking for a way to use up some leftover buttermilk. One batch of cupcakes requires one cup of buttermilk, but my neighborhood Whole Foods only sells buttermilk in quarts, so I always have some left over. I browsed some of my cookbooks and decided to try "Pennsylvania Dutch Soft Sugar Cookies" from Cookies Unlimited by Nick Malgieri. The recipe calls for 4 cups flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda, a pinch of salt, 1 cup butter, 2 cups sugar, 1 tbsp. vanilla, 3 eggs, and a cup of buttermilk.

As I mixed the batter and baked the cookies, I experienced déjà vu. It turns out that these cookies are exactly like the inside of a black and white cookie. They were soft and cake-like, a vanilla version of the outside of a whoopie pie.

Tom and I tried making ice cream sandwiches with these cookies, and they weren't bad. But as a plain cookie, it was a pretty blah. A black and white without the black and white is just sad.

Recipe: "Pennsylvania Dutch Soft Sugar Cookies," from Cookies Unlimited by Nick Malgieri.

Previous Post: "Black and White Cookies: Ready for the Party!," February 6, 2009.

Comments