Peanut Jumbles: Extremely Ordinary

For our office happy hour last week, I decided to try out a new recipe from one of Carole Walter's cookbooks, Great Cookies: Secrets to Sensational Sweets. I'm a big fan of this book. I've had good experiences with a lot of the recipes, and the book includes a color photograph of almost every cookie.

The Peanut Jumbles recipe seemed like a quick cookie I could put together with ingredients I had on hand. The peanut butter batter is made with cake flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, creamy peanut butter, dark brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. A generous amount of whole salted peanuts are mixed in at the end.

This cookie was pleasantly moist. However, it just wasn't that interesting. The monochromatic color scheme was boring to look at, and even with the crunch and contrast of the salted peanuts, the flavor was a little blah. Tom's instantaneous opinion was that the cookie would be greatly improved with some chocolate chips. I definitely prefer the Peanut Butter Cookie with Chocolate Chunks from epicurious.com. I think I'll let this recipe fall by the wayside. It wasn't bad, but in my book, baked goods that are just so-so are quickly forgotten.

Recipe: "Peanut Jumbles" from Great Cookies: Secrets to Sensational Sweets, by Carole Walter.

Earlier Post: "A Baking Beauty Secret," June 15, 2008.

Comments

bd20009 said…
I am issuing a peanut recall. You need to bring any and all remaining peanut cookies over to HQ. Stat.