Bring the Heat: Hermit Bars

I had never heard of Helen S. Fletcher until one day her cookbook Craving Cookies literally showed up on my doorstep -- a kind gift from a friend who shares a love of baking (thank you, Raylene!). I decided to dive right into the book, starting with Fletcher's recipe for "Hermit Bars." I know hermit bars are a thing, but I've somehow been baking for more than 25 years and never made them before.
 
To make the batter for these bars, you cream softened butter with brown sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs, followed by molasses; and incorporate the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground ginger, coarsely ground black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt). I spread the batter into a parchment-lined 9-inch by 13-inch pan to bake. The recipe says that the edges of the baked bars will be higher than the center and that you should immediately flatten the edges with an offset spatula when you take the pan out of the oven. The edges of my bars were slightly taller than the middle, but when I tried to press them down, they bounced back. So I did not manage to get a completely level top.
After the bars were completely cool, I added a glaze made from lemon juice and powdered sugar (and I added a bit of salt). It set firm. The recipe headnote says that Fletcher always tops the glaze with confetti quins or nonpareils for crunch. I would have done the same, but I was serving these bars at the same time as Mike Johnson's birthday cake blondies, and I thought that offering two items with rainbow sprinkles would be excessive.
 
While I can see how a little added texture would be welcome, these bars were wonderful just as they were. I'm not exactly sure what the texture of the bars was supposed to be, but mine were more like cake than a bar. Perhaps I overbaked them a little, but even just as a short piece of cake, they were very satisfying. The spice level was intense and the flavor profile was different from a typical spice cake or cookie. I think the black pepper in particular made a big impact, adding a completely different dimension of heat and depth. The lemon glaze was the perfect topping, adding a burst of bright citrus that cut through all of the spice. Next time I'll add sprinkles!
 
Recipe: "Hermit Bars" from Craving Cookies by Helen S. Fletcher.

Comments

Louise said…
Hermits are one of my favorite Christmas cookies. I skipped them last year but I'll be baking them soon. Besides being tasty, they keep well.
Oh, long shelf life is such a great quality. I'll keep that in mind!
I was eying this cookbook. What is your opinion on the recipes…more skewed to traditional or with some innovative flair?

I ended up for now buying Cookies: The New Classics A Baking Book.

I seem to recall from the distant past that Hermit Bars were a soft cakey bar with raisins. I would like the black pepper in this version. Surprised you did not try it in Doris’s new World Peace 2.0? But I like the kick of the spice as an accent.

Cheers,
Anne
Hi Anne! The recipes in Craving Cookies are definitely more traditional, but I believe that they are well tested, and all of them include weights in grams! I only got Dorie Greenspan's new cookbook a few weeks ago, but I have her hermits on my holiday baking list!
Good morning,
Thanks for letting me know the details on “Craving for Cookies”. I do trust Helen Fletcher to provide well crafted recipes. I went more than a little crazy buying cookbooks during Amazon’s buy 2 get one free Black Friday sale. I have my massive haul wrapped and under my tree. Dorie’s new book is there too. I am sure we both will enjoy baking from her cookbook in 2022.

Happy holiday baking,
Anne