Baked Sunday Mornings: Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins

I'm going rogue again this week. The recipe on the Baked Sunday Mornings schedule is Black Forest Chocolate Cookies. I've made this cookies before (you can read my blog post on them here), and although I thought they were terrific, I didn't feel like making them again. So I decided to use up some ripe bananas I had on hand by making the Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking.

It's a very easy recipe. You whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, instant espresso powder, baking soda, and salt); make a well and pour in the wet ingredients (melted butter, milk, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, mashed bananas, and an egg); mix to combine; fold in chocolate chips; and bake. The recipe says to used a greased muffin tin but I wanted to avoid any risk of sticking so I used paper liners. I got 13 muffins from each batch of batter.
These muffins didn't look like much, but they were scrumptious. Tom and I tried one shortly after baking and while it was good, it wasn't nearly as tasty as the one we ate the following day, when the banana flavor had intensified. The muffins were quite dense and felt heavy for their size. However, they were soft and moist and packed with banana and chocolate flavor. The espresso flavor was subtle, but a nice addition.

The recipe calls for a cup of chocolate chips and I didn't think that it seemed like much for a dozen (or in my case, a baker's dozen) muffins. But I was delighted that each muffin was chock-full of chips and the chocolate flavor was as prominent as the banana. I had considered using miniature chocolate chips to make sure that they didn't all sink to the bottom but I ended up using regular chocolate chips and I'm glad I did. They were evenly distributed throughout the muffins and I loved the big chunks of chocolate in each bite. My tasters were big fans of these muffins and I would absolutely make them again.

Recipe: "Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins" from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito.

Previous Posts:

Comments