Good Food for Good Friends: Mushroom and Shallot Quiche

Last month I hosted a dinner gathering of several law school friends and their families at our house. I decided early on to order pizza. I wanted to make sure to have food that would appeal to the seven kids who would be in attendance. Also, my husband was out of town and he always handles meat main courses when we have host duties. But I decided that I couldn't offer only pizza for dinner, so I accepted offers from guests to bring fruit and salad and I decided I would bake a savory tart to help round out the menu. I decided to make Dorie Greenspan's Mushroom and Shallot Quiche from Around My French Table.

I made the dough for the crust the day before to allow for the required chilling times, but it only took a few minutes in the food processor. You just mix flour, sugar, and salt; pulse in frozen cubed butter; and add an egg beaten with ice water. I chilled the dough overnight; rolled it out and lined a tart pan; docked the dough; chilled the crust for a few more hours; and blind-baked the crust until it was partially cooked and lightly golden.

The filling is easy. You cook finely chopped shallots with salt and pepper in butter; add sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas); add thyme; and let the mushrooms cool for a bit. To assemble the tart, you sprinkle more thyme over the cooled crust; add the mushroom mixture; pour over a mixture of cream, eggs, salt, and pepper; and sprinkle on some chopped scallions and grated Gruyère. I baked the quiche until it was puffed and golden, and served it at room temperature.
This quiche was freakin' delicious. The crust was pristine, flaky, and crisp, and the filling layer was thin but packed with flavor. I liked the fact that the quiche wasn't heavy or super eggy (there are only two eggs in the filling) and the ratio of "stuff" to custard was quite high. And funnily enough, my friend Bryant -- who is a great cook and baker -- took one bite and asked if it was Dorie Greenspan's recipe. Adults and kids alike were big fans of the quiche and I was thrilled that there was one small piece left over that I got to eat for lunch the next day. (Incidentally, in the photo above, that's a corn and zucchini salad with feta in the background; I can't recommend it highly enough.)

I hope to make and enjoy this quiche again and again!

Recipes: "Tart Dough" and "Mushroom and Shallot Quiche" from Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan; a version of the recipe that is very close to the one in the cookbook is available here at epicurious.com.

Comments