Baked Sunday Mornings: Peppermint Chocolate Chip Meringues

This week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe is Peanut Butter Blossoms. They're in the holiday cookie section of Baked Occasions and I baked them for our holiday party last year where they were a big hit; you can read my post about them here. So I'm going rogue this week with another holiday cookie recipe that I actually also served at the same party last year (but haven't blogged about before): Peppermint Chocolate Chip Meringues.

To make these peppermint meringues, all you have to do is beat egg whites; add cream of tartar and sugar; beat to stiff peaks; and fold in peppermint extract, miniature chocolate chips, and enough red food coloring to get a light pink shade. I used a pastry bag fitted with a very large plain tip to pipe out the cookies and baked them for an hour at 250 degrees. I let them cool inside the turned off oven, with the door slightly ajar.
The outside of the meringues was slightly browned; after taking a bite you could see a much prettier baby pink interior. The meringues are positively addictive, with a wonderful airy crunch and just the slightest bit of chew in the middle. The mint flavor is somewhat subtle and if you like mint, you could probably add a little more. I loved the addition of the miniature chocolate chips. I do wish that the meringues had retained their original delicate pink color during baking and I think that lowering the oven temperature to 200 degrees would probably fix this problem (the meringues in Baked Explorations are baked at 200 degrees and didn't take on any color at all). But regardless, these meringues are delightful.

Recipe: "Peppermint Chocolate Chip Meringues" from Baked Occasions by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at InStyle.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree, these were lovely-- a nice way to end the book! I baked mine for 50 minutes to avoid browning, plus the centers were softer (since I don't like crunchy meringues one bit). I highly recommend that little adjustment. :)