Baked Sunday Mornings: Marble Bundt Cake

This week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe is the Vanilla Bean Angel Food Cake with Milk Chocolate Glaze from Baked Occasions. I made the angel food cake last summer because it was the perfect way to use up the 12 egg whites I had leftover after making the Chai Spice Trifle; I loved the cake and you can read my blog post about it here.

As much as I enjoyed the angel food cake I didn't want to make it again and end up with a dozen extra egg yolks. Instead I decided to try a recipe from the original cookbook in the Baked series, the "Mable Bundt Cake." The headnote extols the rich chocolate flavor of the chocolate portion of the cake, which was a definite selling point for me -- I find it frustrating when you can't make out the distinct flavors in a marble cake.

This is an easy recipe. You cream butter with sugar; add eggs, followed by sour cream and vanilla; and gradually incorporate the sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt). You make the chocolate batter by taking a third of the vanilla batter and mixing it with melted chocolate and cocoa powder. Then you layer the batters in a well-greased Bundt pan -- vanilla on the top and bottom around chocolate in the middle -- and marble them together. I baked the cake for an hour, tenting it with foil towards the end so that it wouldn't get too dark.
I let the cake cool in the pan for half an hour before inverting it onto a wire rack to cool completely. I was relieved that the generous coating of baking spray with flour I had applied helped the cake release easily and cleanly from the pan. The whole cake didn't look like anything special; it had a pretty golden crust but you can't tell from the outside that it was a marble cake. But I thought the swirly cake slices were beautiful.

This cake was delicious. The crumb was uniform and dense, but springy. The vanilla portion tasted like pound cake and the chocolate portion was super chocolatey as promised, with a fine and tender texture that I would expect to find in a butter layer cake. In the end, this is just cake -- with no frosting, no glaze, no bells and whistles -- but it is really good cake.

Recipe: "Marble Bundt Cake" from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito.

Previous Posts:

Comments