Sometimes Things Fall Apart: Coffee Biscotti with Almonds

My former co-worker Ed currently has a gig at the White House and he recently invited me and Tom to take a West Wing tour. I will always associate Ed with salted caramel brownies. He was the inspiration for the Brownie Tasteoff of 2011 -- or I suppose I should give credit to his daughter Claire, who was searching for the best brownie recipe. Regardless, I didn't want to show up to our tour with Ed empty handed. I recently got a copy of Tish Boyle's latest cookbook Flavorful, so I thought I would bake Ed a batch of Boyle's "Coffee Almond Biscotti."

The recipe headnote says that because these biscotti are made with lots of butter, they are more moist than the typical Italian variety. To make the batter you cream softened butter with sugar; add eggs, orange zest, and vanilla; incorporate the sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt); and add ground coffee beans and chopped toasted almonds. I didn't have an orange on hand and so I substituted a little bit of orange extract for the zest. You form the dough into two logs, bake them until lightly browned, slice the logs, and bake the cookies again until dry.
I noticed a problem with the cookies when I sliced the logs. The logs were cooked, but the dough was very crumbly. Pieces of cookies were falling off as I tried to move them from the cutting board back to the cookie sheet for the second bake. After the cookies were baked the second time, the crumbly problem only became worse -- I have never made a biscotti with a friable texture like this. I didn't like it. I love biscotti primarily for their dry crunchy texture. These cookies had a texture like a sablé -- but only more crumbly -- which at least in my mind defeats the entire purpose of going to the trouble of making biscotti and baking them twice.

The biscotti tasted strongly of coffee, punctuated with bits of almond. I couldn't taste any orange at all, so I regretted not going to the trouble of buying an orange to be able to incorporate some zest. The flavor didn't bowl me over. I feel bad that not only did I deliver Ed a box of sub-optimal baked goods, but also they were so fragile that for all I know the neatly packed box might have been reduced to crumbs by the time he opened it. Next time, he's getting some salted caramel brownies!

Recipe: "Coffee Almond Biscotti" from Flavorful by Tish Boyle.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Kevin Smith said…
I enjoyed the article. If anyone is looking for some delicious Italian biscotti, I highly recommend Giorgio cookies. Their Biscotti are made with only the finest ingredients and have a wide variety of flavors to choose from. Order Italian Biscotti online today, and you'll find a taste you'll love! Thanks again for this article.