Homemade Keebler Fudge Stripe Cookies and Belated Holiday Party Recap

When I was trying to come up with the final list of baked goods for our annual holiday party, I came across Stella Parks' recipe for Homemade Keebler Fudge Stripe Cookies and added it to the menu. It's not that I have any particular attachment to Fudge Stripe Cookies -- I can't even remember the last time I had one but I'm pretty sure it's been at least 30+ years. I can't even remember what an authentic Fudge Stripe taste like. It's just that I get a kick out of making homemade versions of grocery store baked goods. See, e.g, my knockoff Hostess Cupcakes, Fig Newtons, Faux-reos, Oreos, Hostess Choco-Bliss, Biscoffs, King's Hawaiian rolls, etc.

The recipe says it yields 25 cookies and I made a double batch. The ingredient list seemed a little strange -- the cookies contain corn syrup but no granulated sugar. To make the dough you just mix together all of the ingredients (flour, baking soda, corn syrup, melted butter, and vanilla). I didn't take the time to make clarified butter and just used regular melted butter instead. The recipe says that you should knead the dough into a ball, but my dough was a puddle that couldn't be formed into a ball or any other shape. I stuck the dough in the fridge, but instead of chilling it for just 10 minutes as specified in the recipe, I got distracted with another project and didn't get back to it for a few hours. At that point, the dough was rock hard and I had to let it warm up before I could roll it.
I rolled out the dough and cut it into ring shapes using two round cutters. Although my cookies were three inches in diameter (the size specified in the recipe), I only got 24 cookies total from my double batch of dough. I baked the cookies until browned. After they were cooled I dipped the bottoms in melted bittersweet chocolate and piped chocolate stripes on top. I didn't bother tempering the chocolate and so I stored the finished cookies in the refrigerator.

I thought these cookies were okay. I can't really comment on how close they are to a real Fudge Stripe Cookie since it's been so long since I've tasted the real thing. But judging this cookie purely on its own merits, it didn't do much for me. It had a crisp texture that surprised me because I was expecting more of a buttery shortbread.  The cookie also didn't have much flavor and was dominated by the chocolate -- which might be a boon to chocolate lovers. But if I'm going to eat a cookie, I want to taste and enjoy the cookie itself, not just the garnish.

Even though these cookies didn't bowl me over, I still thought they would be a nice addition to the holiday party menu. Sadly, they never made an appearance. I had stored them in a plastic container in a drawer in the refrigerator, and since they weren't in plain sight, I forgot all about them and never brought them out during the party. Thankfully, they were still fine two days later and I took them to the office.

Below is a complete list of the recipes from the holiday party menu. The Sweet and Salty Brownies are a perennial favorite, and the other most popular items this year were the Squash on Toast and the Antique Caramel Cake. My own personal favorites included the Honey-Nut Nougat, the Popcorn Toffee Crack Bars, the Frozen Orange Mousse Torte, the Country Pâté and the Tricolor Cake.

Baked Goods:
Confections:
Frozen Desserts:
Savory:
Previous Holiday Party Coverage: 2014 Holiday Party Recap; 2013 Holiday Party Recap; Holiday Spice Cake with Eggnog Buttercream (2012); Stump de Noël (2011) and 2011 Party Recap; 2009 Party Recap; 2008 Party Recap Parts I, II, and III.

Comments

Sally said…
I'm in serious awe. HOW do you pull that off???
Louise said…
How are Bravetart's Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies? I looked at it when it was published on Seriouseats, but hesitated as I've been happily using this one for a couple of years. It's just like a cookie I remember from my childhood. In reality, this one is probably actually much better. http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/crackly-sugar-cookies-11289
I always use a course sanding sugar on them.
I thought the sugar cookie recipe was pretty meh -- they were fine, but I wouldn't make them again.
Liz S. said…
I made the chocolate chip cookies and I am so happy with how they turned out! Thanks for the tip to use the weight measures instead of the cup measures - I think I successfully pulled off my first Little Baker Bunny knock-off.
That's awesome, Liz! I love those chocolate chip cookies!