Fall Baking Season Has Arrived: Pumpkin Harvest Scones

We had a long, hot summer here in D.C., and I was pretty psyched a few weeks ago when the local weatherman declared that we had seen our last 90-degree day of the year. I wanted to bake something to celebrate the arrival of fall. And now that it's the season for pumpkin spice-everything, I decided to go with a King Arthur Flour recipe for Harvest Pumpkin Scones.

It's an easy recipe. You whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice); work in chunks of cold butter; stir in the mix-ins of your choice; and add in canned pumpkin and eggs. The suggested mix-ins are crystallized ginger, cinnamon chips, and chocolate chips. I made a double batch of scones and used a pound of diced crystallized ginger and 150 grams of currants (the amounts were fairly arbitrary -- the ginger comes in pound bags from nuts.com, and I had an open bags of currants that happened to have 150 grams left).

I divided the double batch of dough into five equal parts, formed each into a disk, and cut each into six scones to get a total of 30. I froze the formed scones for about 30 minutes, brushed them with milk, sprinkled on coarse sugar, and baked them until golden.
In my book, the ideal scone is delicate and crumbly, and these did not meet that standard. The texture was slightly heavy and dense, I assume because of the pumpkin. However, I still enjoyed these tremendously, and they were a huge hit with my tasters. The warm pumpkin spice flavor is pure fall, and my favorite part was the generous amount of crystallized ginger. What a delicious way to welcome autumn.

Recipe: "Harvest Pumpkin Scones" from King Arthur Flour.

Previous Posts:

Comments