Baked Sunday Mornings: Honey Banana Poppy Seed Bread

It's always nice to get a bit of a breather on the Baked Sunday Mornings schedule, and this week's recipe -- Honey Banana Poppy Seed Bread -- definitely qualifies. All you need is two bowls and about 5 minutes to mix this quickbread batter. It's as simple as combining all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt), folding in the wet ingredients (mashed bananas, vegetable oil, milk, honey, eggs), and stirring in poppy seeds.

I baked my bread in a Williams-Sonoma loaf pan that is slightly larger than what the recipe prescribes (the pan is 10 inches long), so my pan was not very full and the bread was done baking in 55 minutes, a bit less time than what the recipe specifies. The bread developed a beautiful dark brown crust with an attractive crack down the center.

This bread was good, but I didn't like it quite as much as the banana bread from Flour bakery. While the loaf was moist, it was not as tender as the Flour recipe. I also felt that it was lacking in flavor overall (I couldn't really detect the honey) and not sufficiently banana-y. I did appreciate the poppy seed texture, although I made another loaf with half a cup of chopped toasted pecans instead of poppy seeds and I can't decide which version was better.

I wrapped the cooled loaves in wax paper and stored them in Ziploc bags, and I thought that the bread tasted better on day two and day three -- the banana flavor seemed to become more pronounced with time. While this bread didn't bowl me over, I'm glad that I've been introduced to the combination of banana and poppy seed, which is unusual and tasty!

Recipe: "Honey Banana Poppy Seed Bread" from Baked Elements: Our 10 Favorite Ingredients, by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito. Recipe available at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Previous Post: "Irene's Aftermath: Flour's Famous Banana Bread," September 13, 2011.

Comments