Baked Sunday Mornings: Buttermilk Pie/Brown Butter Snickerdoodles

This week's recipe for Baked Sunday Mornings is Buttermilk Pie. I made this pie over a year ago, with predictably poor results (I just cannot get any of the Baked pies to work for me), and I couldn't bring myself to give the pie another try. So I'm just going to refer people back to my previous post for the buttermilk pie and leave it at that.

However, I do have another Baked recipe to post about today: Brown Butter Snickerdoodles. I've been happily making Alice Medrich's snickerdoodle recipe from Cookies and Brownies for years and never felt the need to look for another one. But the Baked boys always add a twist, and I was eager to see how snickerdoodles would taste with browned butter.

The first step in the recipe is to brown the butter and strain it. The recipe notes that straining is not actually strictly necessary, and I didn't strain mine -- I have not bothered to strain browned butter with other recipes I've made (e.g., this soda bread and this almond torte), and I've always been happy with the results. You beat the browned butter in a mixer until it cools to room temperature, and then add in sugar and brown sugar, eggs and milk, and the dry ingredients (flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon). Because the dough contains browned butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, it was a tan color (in contrast to the dough I make with Medrich's recipe, which is completely pale). You need to chill the dough for at least an hour before you scoop it out, roll the cookies in cinnamon sugar, and bake.

These cookies were very pretty, a bit puffy with attractive crackled tops. They were crisp on the outside, nice and chewy on the inside, and wonderfully buttery. I thought they were delicious. I'm not sure if I would be able to identify the browned butter component just from the taste. But I would happily make them again and again. 

Recipes:
Previous Posts:

Comments

erinstar41 said…
YES! This is the first recipe I made from Elements and is my new favorite snickerdoodle recipe. Browned butter is so good! Glad you liked these. :)
Candy said…
Your cookies look delish!
Elaine said…
I really like the darker color of your snickerdoodles from the browned butter. Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies to bake so I really want to try this recipe. I'm glad you mentioned that you didn't strain the butter - I don't think I will either when I make them.
Your cookies look so good. I will definitely have to try them now!
Sheri said…
I totally thought of you and your relationship with the Baked pies when this came up on the schedule! We all have a baking nemesis (mine is pumpkin pie).

I can't wait to make these cookies, though!
My favorite recipe for snickerdoodles is out of the Loveless Cafe cookbook. It has cream cheese in it. But these look amazing! I will have to give it a go.
margot said…
These look amazing! I'll have to read about your other experiences with the Baked pies. I liked the filling, but was not terribly impressed with the dough.
Susan said…
These look great! I wasn't thrilled about making the Buttermilk Pie, either. I'll be back on track this week!
DBLowe said…
Uh oh, Alice Medrich's Snickerdoodles has been my go-to for years also...going to have to try this one!
I still really like the Alice Medrich ones -- but these are more substantial and I prefer the chewier texture. You really can't go wrong with either!