Shortbread That Goes the Distance: Rosemary Shortbread

Lately I've been baking so much from Baked Explorations that I thought I should give some more attention to other cookbooks that have been sitting idle.  I have been eager to try more recipes from Joanne Chang's Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe, and since I had some fresh rosemary on hand, I decide to make Chang's recipe for Rosemary Shortbread.

The recipe is nice and simple -- you cream room temperature butter, then add in light brown sugar, an egg yolk, chopped fresh rosemary, flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder.  You form the dough into a disk, chill it briefly, and then roll it out and cut it.  I cut my shortbread into rectangular fluted biscuit shapes. 

This shortbread exceeded all of my expectations.  It is buttery and tender, with a delicate melt-in-your mouth quality.  The rosemary flavor is bright and lovely, without being overpowering.  These little cookies might not look like much, but they are simply delectable.

Recipe: "Rosemary Shortbread," from Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe by Joanne Chang.

Comments