Baked Sunday Mornings: Cowboy Cookies

This is going to be a brief post, because I previously blogged about the Cowboy Cookies from Baked Explorations before they were added to the Baked Sunday Mornings schedule

The last time I made these cookies, I liked them, but I also thought that they could have used more pretzel.  I thought that adding pretzels more substantial than the thin rods I used before might help, so this time I incorporated broken Pretzel Crisps into the cookie batter, and I also used about twice as many pretzels as the recipe called for.  I love Pretzel Crisps (although I rarely eat the plain variety, since the Buffalo Wing flavor is my favorite) because they are in fact much crisper and crunchier than regular pretzels.  I also used chopped Hershey's Special Dark bars instead of chocolate chips, and stuck a whole pretzel on the top of each cookie before baking.

I am sad to report that even these pretzels still were not very crunchy in the baked cookies (except for the one pretzel on top) -- I suspect this may have had something to do with the fact that I refrigerated the cookie dough for about 24 hours before baking (the recipe specifies at least 4 hours), and I think that the pretzels spent that entire time in the cookie dough getting soggy.  Perhaps my decision to use Pretzel Crisps actually backfired, since they are thinner than regular pretzels and might actually be more susceptible to getting soggy. 

I'm pretty sure that one way to solve the soggy pretzel problem would be to use Pretzel M&Ms, which I use in the recipe for Monster Cookies in Baked: New Frontiers in Baking, to great success.  In general, I prefer the Baked Monster Cookie to the Baked Cowboy Cookie (probably because the peanut butter in the Monster Cookie makes it extra tasty), so I think that I will probably stick with that recipe over this one.

Recipe: "Cowboy Cookies" from Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented, by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Chaya said…
I will have to try the monster cookie too. We liked these very much.
Louise said…
I think these cookies need Unique Splits. These are made local to me, in Reading, PA, but their website doesn't show them as well. http://www.woodstockfarmersmarket.com/unique-pretzel-splits.aspx
Candy said…
Your cookies look pretty! Using pretzel M&Ms is a genius idea!
Bourbonnatrix said…
I'll have to try the monster cookies, but your pretzel m&m idea is so intriguing! I'm sure it would take just a regular chocolate chip cookie to a whole other level!
Elaine said…
I love the pretzel on top! The monster cookie with the M&M's sounds so good!
Kris' Kitchen said…
I have no fridge space...for some strange reason I never do...could not cram cookie dough even for a rest. It is hot in AZ and my kitchen hotter with the oven going...so I had to move quickly. That butter that was supposed to keep cool was melting by the minute. So no resting time, put all the pretzel pieces into the dough, non on top, and I got the crunch. The crunch lasted to the next day when all the cookies were eaten. I too was worried about the pretzels becoming wimpy.
Chelly said…
I like the idea of using pretzel m&m's.....brilliant!
Desiree said…
loved these, yours look soo good!
Bri said…
Yeah, those monster cookies are pretty great! The pretzel M&M idea is brilliant; I'm going to bookmark that for a rainy day!

P.S. Those buffalo wing pretzel crisps are the best, aren't they?