Snow Witches to the Rescue: White Chocolate Bars

After a couple of disappointing experiences right out of the box, I was just about ready to write off the Fat Witch Brownies cookbook. I decided I had to give the book at least once more chance -- so last night I tried the recipe for "White Chocolate Bars." I'm both relieved and thrilled to be able to declare this one a winner.

This recipe attracted my attention for a few reasons. First was the fact that I've never seen a recipe quite like this one before -- essentially a brownie made entirely with white chocolate. Second, it's extremely easy to make. It only contains eight ingredients (white chocolate, butter, eggs, sugar, vanilla, flour, baking powder, and salt). To make the batter, you mix together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla, add the melted and cooled chocolate and butter, and then stir in the sifted dry ingredients. At the Fat Witch Bakery, they call these bars "Snow Witches."

The baking instructions were also slightly unusual -- the recipe tells you to bake these bars in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes, and then to turn off the oven and leave the bars in for another 8 minutes. When I took the bars out, the oven temperature had dropped to 300 degrees. My bars came out beautifully golden, with a slightly wrinkly crust.

These bars were very easy to cut and handle. Most importantly, they tasted great. The bars had a nice chewy texture, especially parts that were along the edges of the pan. They were super moist and very reminiscent of a blondie, except more interesting. The white chocolate flavor was not overwhelming -- which I think is a good thing, because a lot of people don't like eating straight white chocolate. All in all, a very lovely and unusual bar. Certainly enough to encourage me to try more recipes from the cookbook!

Recipe: "White Chocolate Bars," from Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery, by Patricia Helding.

Comments