Sustenance for the 46th St. Shovel Brigade: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today, like almost every other day for the last week, Tom and I spent some time outside shoveling snow. Digging out our cars for what seems like the umpteenth time might seem a little tiresome, but I really enjoyed being out in the sunshine and getting out of the house for a while. Most of all, I appreciated having the chance to chat with all of our neighbors. Not surprisingly, after the blizzard we had yesterday, everyone was out shoveling this morning. We live in a wonderful neighborhood with some terrific neighbors -- and the camaraderie on the block today was just delightful. Tom, being the incredibly thoughtful person that he is, even shoveled the walks of two elderly neighbors across the street.

When I finished shoveling, I decided that everyone deserved some chocolate chip cookies after all of their hard work. I had some cookie dough handy that I made on Monday; originally I had planned to bring cookies to an office happy hour that was scheduled for today. But with the federal government being closed since last Friday afternoon, my batch of dough was all dressed up with nowhere to go. I baked the cookies and delivered them in batches (while they were still warm) to everyone on the street. These beautiful, fat cookies were -- as always -- crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside, and bursting with chocolate and rich caramel-y flavor.

The recent snowstorms have wreaked havoc on a lot of the things that most of us take for granted. God only knows when basic services like mail delivery and garbage pick-up will resume. But at least I know that come hell or high water, I can count on our lovely neighbors to be full of good will and good cheer!

Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookies from the New York Times, July 9, 2008.

Previous Posts:

Comments

bd20009 said…
these cookies were amazing! Darren is now your newest fan. He could not believe how good they were.