The Best Thing I've Ever Learned During a Conference Call: Double-Ginger Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I will admit that sometimes when I have to participate in a work-related conference call from home, I multitask and do some baking while I'm on the phone. Once, I accidentally dropped a call after going down into the basement to grab another bag of flour. Earlier this week, during the chitchat at the beginning of a conference call while we waited for everyone to dial in, one of the participants who knows that I bake mentioned that he had discovered a fabulous ginger chocolate chunk cookie recipe. This instantly reminded me of the ginger chip cookie from Lola Cookies & Treats in Leesburg that I fell in love with last year and tried (unsuccessfully) to recreate. I got the recipe and tried it that very evening. I pronounce it amazingly delicious.

I was in a bit of a rush when I made these cookies and so I only chilled the dough for about 40 minutes before baking. I used Penzey's Australian crystallized ginger for the recipe, which is very expensive, but also incredibly tender, sweet and delicious. For the chocolate chunks, I used chopped Hershey's Special Dark Bar. I also rolled the dough in coarse sanding sugar instead of regular granulated sugar before baking. The cookies spread quite a bit in the oven and ended up thin and ultra-chewy. The rich spice flavor, wonderful texture, crunchy sugar coating, and smooth sweet chocolate chunks combined to make a really unusual and special cookie. I will make these again and the only thing I will change is to chill the dough for a longer period of time so that the cookies will hopefully spread a little less.

This cookie is still not the Lola ginger chip cookie, but I think it is equally delicious. I don't know why the combination of ginger and chocolate isn't more commonplace, because it is simply sublime.

Recipe: "Double-Ginger Chocolate Chunk Cookies," by Susan Spungen for more.com.

Previous Post: "A Cookie Quest," July 29, 2008.

Comments