Newsflash: More Chocolate Does Not Actually Make Everything Better

I recently received a request for banana-chocolate chip cupcakes, and I didn't already have a recipe in my repertoire. I've made a lot of banana cakes, banana breads, and even chocolate banana bread, but never a banana-chocolate chip cake or cupcake. I hunted around for a recipe, and I couldn't find one. I decided to try "Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting" from epicurious.com and just add some chocolate chips.

The cake is pretty straightforward, and I stirred about 3/4 cup of mini-chocolate chips into the batter before I parceled it out into mini-cupcakes. The cupcakes baked up very moist, with a delicate banana flavor. As the recipe is written, you're supposed to make a three-layer cake with frosting and fresh bananas between each of the layers, so I assume that there would be a lot more banana flavor if you actually went that route. I used my favorite cream cheese frosting recipe of all time, from the pumpkin raisin bar recipe on epicurious.

I was glad to see that the chocolate chips did not all sink to the bottom of the cupcakes and were nicely distributed throughout. But the chocolate component was a bit of a disappointment. I can't believe I'm even saying this, but the cupcakes were just a little too chocolatey. I am generally of the view that you can never have too much chocolate, but I think that the quantity of chocolate chips I added upset the balance of flavors in the cupcakes, especially because the banana flavor was not very intense. I want to try making these again, but with far fewer chocolate chips!

Recipe: Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting from epicurious.com.

Comments