Cranberry Orange Cornmeal Cake, Take 2

I gave the Cranberry Orange Cornmeal Cake another try, and this time, I was pleased as punch with the results! Since I ended up with a horrible mess last time when I tried baking this cake in a 9-inch round by 2 1/2 inch tall springform pan, I tried baking it in a 9 x 13 inch rectangular pan last night. (When I saw a 9-inch round by 3-inch high aluminum cake pan at Strosniders earlier this week, I contemplated buying it just for this recipe... But I am generally against the idea of buying a pan or a piece of cooking equipment that only serves a singular, rarely needed, purpose.) I also increased the amount of cranberries in the cake to a full quart (the recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups), because I felt that there weren't enough cranberries in the batter last time.

The resulting cake was perfect, and it was done in only 50 minutes. The top was beautiful, with a shiny sugar coating interrupted by sunken tunnels of cranberries. As before, the flavor was great, not too sweet. The cake was moist, but crumbled easily due to the cornmeal. It received warm reviews at work, and I think may have earned a place in my regular baked goods rotation!

Recipe: "Cranberry Orange Cornmeal Cake," Los Angeles Times Culinary SOS Column, Otcober 29, 2008.

Previous Post: "A Real Culinary SOS," November 10, 2008.

Comments

KathyA said…
This cranberry cake looks great -- I'll try it in the rectangular pan.