Baked Sunday Mornings: Peanut Butter Cookies with Milk Chocolate Chunks

A few months ago, Peanut Butter Cookies with Milk Chocolate Chunks came up on the Baked Sunday Mornings schedule and I decided to go rogue and make a different recipe instead -- because I made the peanut butter cookies years ago and thought they were just okay. But I decided to go back to the peanut butter cookies this week. Partly because I've already made the recipe that's on the schedule for today -- vanilla marshmallows -- as the topping for the Chocolate Rice Crispy "Cake" with Homemade Marshmallow "Icing" back in 2015. But mostly because I just bought five kilograms of Cacao Barry milk chocolate (that's 5 kilograms of chocolate, not five pounds) and when the bag arrived, I saw it had a use-by date in June 2018. So I'm trying to take on as many milk chocolate baking projects as possible in the next few months!
Since I've made and blogged about these cookies before, I'm just going to cut to the chase. This time I doubled the amount of milk chocolate in the cookies (using 12 ounces of Cacao Barry 38% Lactée Supérieure pistoles). I used a #20 scoop to portion out the dough and got 28 cookies per batch. I also erred on the side of making certain the cookies were done and left them in the oven for an extra minute until they were a deep golden brown around the edges.

So it's been almost nine years since the last time I made these cookies, but I know that I liked this batch much, much better. I think that doubling the chocolate is the main reason why. I still thought the peanut butter flavor was pretty mild and would be interested to try the recipe with crunchy peanut butter, or maybe just some chopped peanuts thrown in. But this was a beautiful cookie with a firm exterior, soft interior, and smooth peanut butter-milk chocolate flavor. I would definitely make it again.

Recipe: "Peanut Butter Cookies with Milk Chocolate Chunks" from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice! If I remember correctly, I too felt that the flavor was very mild. I love your idea of doubling the chocolate-- if I ever made them again, I would do the same. Glad you liked them much better this time!