Baked Sunday Mornings: Kitchen-Sink Dutch Baby

This week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe is a "Kitchen-Sink Dutch Baby," a big oven-baked pancake. Before making this recipe, I had only tried a Dutch baby pancake once before. A few months ago we stayed at a bed and breakfast in Frederick, MD, where our breakfast included individual Dutch babies served in cute little skillets with blueberry compote on the side. They were delicious, so I was looking forward to trying the Baked version with bananas and chocolate chips.

This recipe is quite easy, especially compared to traditional pancakes. You quickly saute some sliced bananas in butter in a cast-iron pan and set them aside. Then you make a pancake batter from whole milk, eggs, vanilla, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, dark brown sugar, and salt. You let the batter sit for five minutes before pouring it over the bananas, sprinkling some miniature chocolate chips on top, and baking the pancake in the oven.

You're supposed to make the batter in a blender but I mixed it in a large glass measuring cup using an immersion blender. I did this because I wanted to downsize the recipe and for that I needed to know the volume of the finished batter. The headnote indicates that this pancake should be baked in a 10-inch pan -- ideally cast iron -- and that if you use a different size, the batter may end up being too thin or too thick. We own two cast-iron pans, but they are both 8-inch pans. Since an 8-inch pan has 64% of the surface area of a 10-inch pan, I decided to just mix the full amount of batter but use only two-thirds of it to make the pancake. It was easier to discard one-third of the batter instead of trying to scale down the recipe ingredients by one-third, which would require dividing an egg.
The pancake smelled terrific in the oven and when I pulled it out I was surprised to see that all of the bananas had ended up on top. The only garnish I applied was a sprinkling of powdered sugar, ignoring the suggestion to serve the Dutch baby with chopped walnuts and warmed maple syrup. Tom and I loved this pancake and we easily devoured our entire 8-inch version between the two of us while it was still hot. There are only 40 grams of chocolate chips in the recipe (I didn't scale down the amount of chips and I'm glad I didn't), but the entire bottom of the pancake was coated in miniature chips. The chocolate and bananas made this pancake super flavorful.

I don't know why Dutch baby pancakes aren't as popular as traditional ones. They are so much less work. And this one was was so satisfying that I'm sure it will be making another appearance at our house soon!

Recipe: "Kitchen Sink Dutch Baby" from Baked Occasions by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Previous Posts:

Comments