Baked Sunday Mornings: Brown Sugar Shortcakes with Brown Sugar Syrup, Mixed Berries, and Whipped Cream

I was pretty psyched about this week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe, "Brown Sugar Shortcakes with Brown Sugar Syrup, Mixed Berries, and Whipped Cream." I love strawberry shortcake. And as a bonus, this recipe is relatively simple.

To make the brown sugar shortcakes, you combine all-purpose flour, cake flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; cut in frozen butter and shortening; and add cream, an egg yolk, and vanilla. You knead the dough until it comes together and then you're supposed to roll it out and cut it into six 2.5-inch shortcakes. My dough was so damp that I just patted it into a disc instead of using a rolling pin and I cut it into eight shortcakes using the specified-size cutter. I froze the shortcakes briefly before brushing them with a mixture of egg white and cream, sprinkling on some coarse sugar, and putting them in the oven.
The shortcakes spread more than I was expecting -- I assumed that they would rise upwards and not outwards, but I ended up with rather flattish biscuits resembling the shape of hamburger buns. My shortcakes were very crumbly and when I cut them in half with a sharp bread knife, little bits fell off. I filled the split shortcakes with strawberries macerated with a little brown sugar and orange zest, and some vanilla whipped cream lightly sweetened with brown sugar.

I was disappointed with this dessert. Part of the reason was the unfortunate fact that I happened to purchase a particularly flavorless container of strawberries. But I thought that the shortcake itself was really lacking flavor, and the crumbly texture was super annoying. I thought everything needed to be sweeter -- the shortcake, the fruit, and the whipped cream. I just wasn't a fan.

Recipe: "Brown Sugar Shortcakes with Brown Sugar Syrup, Mixed Berries, and Whipped Cream" from Baked Occasions by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Comments

Louise said…
While I'm sorry this was disappointing, I fully appreciate your honesty. After seeing another write-up, I expected to bake this while berries are at their peak. Now I plan to choose something else.
Raylene said…
Is there a favorite strawberry shortcake (biscuit type) recipe that you would like to share? I'm very interested! Over 20 years ago, I remember eating a biscuit-type strawberry shortcake at Roy's. It was a first for me and all of these years later, I can still remember how delicious it was. I've never attempted a biscuit-type strawberry shortcake at home, so would really appreciate your input :) . . . Thank you!
Well, I never know if I'm the outlier who didn't like the recipe because I screwed something up. :)
I know I've made biscuit-type strawberry shortcake before, but it's been many many years and for the life of me I cannot remember which recipe it was. If I find/rediscover a good recipe, I'll let you know! In the meantime, I think I'm sticking to strawberries and whipped cream over cake or poundcake.