Baked Sunday Mornings: Red Wine Cupcakes with Chocolate Glaze

I wasn't sure what to make of this week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe, Red Wine Cupcakes with Chocolate Glaze. I'm not a drinker myself, but it seemed like a strange combination to me. Even my oenophile husband Tom was skeptical, but when I asked him for some "hearty red wine," he gladly contributed a bottle of 2008 Clos Marie from the Languedoc (a grenache blend) to the effort.

Tom's skepticism only grew when I poured the wine into a pan and heated it on the stove. He was incredulous that the recipe requires you to heat the wine to almost boiling, pour it over dark chocolate and cocoa powder, and then whisk everything together until smooth. To make the batter, I beat butter until smooth; added sugar and dark brown sugar and beat until fluffy; added eggs and en egg yolk, followed by vanilla; and alternately added the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt) and the chocolate-red wine mixture. The recipe says it yields 18-20 cupcakes, but I got 23.
The recipe headnote indicates that these cupcakes only have a slight dome. My cupcakes initially rose quite a bit in the oven (I filled the cupcake liners only three-quarters full, as directed), but then the cupcake tops flattened out before they finished baking. This resulted in cupcake tops that resembled the head of nail -- a flat disk that was wider than the body of the cupcake. In retrospect, I wish that I had underfilled the cupcake liners to avoid having the cupcakes rise into this shape. Cupcakes with nail head tops are not just unattractive, but they are also unwieldy -- the bottom side of the cupcake top generally sticks to the top of the cupcake pan, and you have to pry it off.

The glaze for the cupcakes is a mixture of dark chocolate, heavy cream, and a little corn syrup. The finishing touch is a line of white sprinkles, which evokes the traditional Hostess cupcake swirl. 

I didn't like these cupcakes at all. While the cake was moist, it tasted strongly of red wine, which completely ruined it for me. Even Tom -- who is an avid wine drinker and moonlights at a wine store -- thought that the combination of red wine and chocolate was not a winner. Both of us agreed that a regular chocolate cupcake is far superior.

Recipe: "Red Wine Cupcakes with Chocolate Glaze" from Baked Occasions by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Previous Post: "A Childhood Treat from a Purloined Page (Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Filling)," September 7, 2008.

Comments

Robyn said…
Hmmm, very interesting that you guys thought the cupcakes tasted strongly of red wine. I didn't tell my testers what the mystery ingredient was, and no one could guess. I love a cupcake with a high dome - it just looks better to me - and these are SO flat. Not as cute!
Susan said…
Sorry these weren't a hit for you. This is one of the recipes I tested - I don't remember the strong wine flavor but I was disappointed with how little they rose. I ended up making a trifle with them.
Anonymous said…
Sorry to hear you didn't care for these. I got that "nail head" effect with my first tray as well, so I cut back to ⅔ full for the second pan, and that worked perfectly. The trick mentioned in the book about bumping up the temperature before baking helped make them completely flat with no sinking in the middle, though there were definitely no domes to be found!