The Bits Are a Hit: Peanut Butter and Jam Cookies

I've had a bag of King Arthur Flour strawberry jammy bits sitting in back of the cupboard for a while; I had forgotten all about them until I recently unearthed the package while looking for something else. When I saw the bag, I remembered that I had already picked out a recipe to put the jammy bits to use -- Peanut Butter and Jam Cookies. When I came across the recipe a while ago, it seemed like such an obvious idea -- make a regular peanut butter cookie and throw in some jammy bits to make a PB&J cookie.

The peanut butter cookie is straightforward. You beat together butter, sugar, brown sugar, an egg, vanilla, and smooth peanut butter; and then add flour, baking soda, salt, and jammy bits. (The recipe is written to include shortening, but it provides a butter substitution option, which I used.) My dough came together quickly without any problem.

I used a #40 scoop to portion out the dough and I got 26 cookies -- which happens to be the exact yield specified in the recipe. My cross-hatch designs (made with a fork) weren't very sharp, but still -- the baked cookies looked pretty good. Some of the jammy bits around the edges melted, but otherwise the bits added a lot of visual interest.
This is a very good peanut butter cookie. I'm not sure if it's a great cookie or not. As far as the cookie itself goes, it's a bit on the dry side -- but that is not atypical for peanut butter cookies. I don't think this cookie would be anything special if it didn't have the jammy bits, because they add a lot. You do get the nostalgic peanut butter-fruit jelly flavor combination, but more importantly, the jammy bits have a wonderfully interesting chewy texture.

My tasters enjoyed this cookie and I think the recipe was a success. But given the expense of jammy bits, I don't think that this cookie is tasty enough to justify their purchase. And there are some other peanut butter cookies that I like better (like the Baked Monster Cookie and the Peanut Butter Cookie with Chocolate Chunks). Still, this cookie is a good (and easy!) way to enjoy a classic flavor combination.

Recipe: "Peanut Butter and Jam Cookies" from King Arthur Flour.

Previous Posts:

Comments