An Early Autumnal Treat

Last night I decided to throw together a little something to bring to a brown bag lunch we were holding for our summer interns today. Even though it wasn't exactly seasonal, I decided to make Pumpkin Raisin Bars -- mostly because they're quick and easy to make, but also because the unusually moderate weather we're experiencing here in D.C. meant that I could violate my normal summertime moratorium on frosting (since I take the metro in to work, frosting can get a little sweaty or melty during transit on hot days).


The recipe calls for baking the batter in a 15.5 x 10.5 inch baking sheet. My tiny apartment oven won't accommodate a pan this large, so I always make this cake in a 9 x 13 inch pan and bake it for an extra 10 minutes. I have tried this recipe with both raisins and dried cranberries and have decided that neither of them actually adds anything to the finished cake. The cake frosting -- a simple mixture of only powdered sugar, butter, and cream cheese -- is insanely good, and without fail, people comment on how tasty it is. I also use this frosting recipe as the filling for Inside-Out Carrot Cake Cookies, where the clean flavor is a perfect match. I think this cake is delicious enough to be served all year round!

Comments