Baked Sunday Mornings: Dark Chocolate Ice Cream

This week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe is Dark Chocolate Ice Cream. For a Baked recipe, it's surprisingly devoid of bells and whistles -- it's literally just chocolate ice cream without any mix-ins or a sauce to accompany it. But I embraced the simplicity and made the recipe exactly as written.

The ice cream base is a custard made with heavy cream, milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and tempered whole eggs. You strain the hot custard into a bowl containing half a pound of bittersweet chocolate and whisk until smooth; I used Scharffen Berger 62%. After chilling the custard overnight I froze it in an ice cream maker.
This ice cream is incredibly creamy and rich. I'm glad I used 62% chocolate; I had contemplated using 70%, but I think that might have been too bitter. The ice cream left a coating on my tongue that reminded me of eating a Jell-O Pudding Pop. Which is a good thing -- chocolate Pudding Pops were one of my favorite childhood desserts, especially because of their super creamy texture. Obviously this ice cream would be fantastic with any number of mix-ins or sauces, but it's pretty darn delicious just as is.

Recipe: "Dark Chocolate Ice Cream" from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Previous Posts:

Comments