Baked Sunday Mornings: Chocolate Chip Hush Puppies

I had mixed feelings about the recipe on this week's Baked Sundays Mornings schedule, Chocolate Chip Hush Puppies. I really like fried food, including hush puppies. One of my guilty pleasures during law school was to indulge in an order of hush puppies at Redbones BBQ in Somerville, MA. But I have an irrational fear of frying anything at home. So I was happy to see that the gentlemen bakers offer an option to bake the hush puppies for those of us who prefer to not fry.

This recipe is really simple and you can make the batter in a few minutes, by hand. All you have to do is mix together flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips; make a well in the middle and pour in the wet ingredients (egg, egg yolk, sour cream, melted butter, maple syrup, and vanilla); and mix to combine. I will mention that there appears to be a serious error in either the volume or weight measurements. The recipe calls for 1.5 cups of pastry flour, which is specified to weigh 115 grams. There is no way that 1.5 cups of pastry flour weighs 115 grams; that's the approximate weight of one cup of pastry flour. I debated what to do and went with the weight measurement, and I used White Lily all-purpose flour, since it has a low protein content that is close to pastry flour. So maybe you're actually supposed to use 50% more flour, I'm not sure.

Anyway, instead of frying, I just used a #20 scoop to portion out the batter into a cupcake tin with glassine liners (the recipe says to grease the muffin tins; who has time for that?). Then I sprinkled on cinnamon sugar (I used Penzey's pre-mixed, since I had some handy), and baked them for 18 minutes.
I ended up with 18 hush puppy muffins with flat tops. I had pretty low expectations, but they were surprisingly tasty. I liked the sandy texture from the cornmeal and they muffins had a very hush puppy-like character -- I could imagine how good they would taste fried. They were good, but not good enough that I would go to the trouble of making them again, either baked or fried.

Recipe: "Chocolate Chip Hush Puppies" from Baked Occasions by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Comments

Robyn said…
I totally agree, not something I would make again.